We’re looking forward to staying home this weekend. We have lots of things to do around the house. Extreme cold temperatures are supposed to return tomorrow, so we’ll light a fire and stay inside. Fondue may be the remedy for cold weather tomorrow night.
Have a warm, cozy weekend.
- I may make a Bitter Southerner to stave off the chill. According to the authors of Super Tuscan, this is a spin on a Manhattan that uses a Italian bitters. I’ll share more after I give them a try.
- 2018 marks the start of Time’s Up. “No more silence. No more waiting. No more tolerance for discrimination, harassment or abuse.” Last Sunday there was a show of solidarity in black at the Golden Globes. Oprah was amazing!
- The Women’s March 2018 takes place next Saturday, Jan. 20th.
- For a couple of years I’ve been reading about two talented people who passed away at very young ages and wrote memoirs about living and dying. They are Nina Riggs, author of The Bright Hour, and Paul Kalanithi, author of When Breath Becomes Air. I have read about Paul and his wife Lucy on Lucy’s twin sister Joanna’s blog, A Cup of Jo.
Last weekend I learned very surprising news about Lucy and Nina’s husband John. Can you guess what it is?
Here’s Joanna’s post about them. The Washington Post also wrote an article about them.
- My husband gave me Art of the Pie and we’re having fun deciding which recipes to make first. Apple Sausage might be the one.
- And when we are not eating Apple Sausage pie, I might be making some of these 20 Vegetarian Dishes That Are Packed With Protein. Wild Mushroom and Parsnip Ragout—oh my!
- I spent the first week of 2018 looking for the good. Here’s what I found.
- Today on NPR’s welcome to Mary Louise Kelly as the new host of All Things Considered, I learned that she is the author of two spy/mystery novels: Anonymous Sources and The Bullet. I can’t wait to read or listen to them.
- Winter in New England makes me spend a lot of time thinking about coats. This weekend, the focus is on red.
- I really like this red military-stye coat worn by Kimberly of Penny Pincher Fashion. I don’t see that red one in stock, but it is available in a darker red and two other colors.
- For another military look, check out this Stand-Collar Skirted Peacoat.
- Here’s a Double-Breasted Skirted Peacoat.
- This Ruffled-Sleeve Coat might be the one for you.
About the photo: Sunset reflecting on the clouds on a cold January evening.